- CHILDLINE 1098 is a phone number those spells hope for millions of children across India. It is a 24-hour a day, 365 days a year, free, emergency phone service for children in need of aid and assistance. We not only respond to the emergency needs of children but also link them to
relevant services for their long-term care and rehabilitation. We have, till date, connected to three million children across the nation offering them care and protection.
CHILDLINE India Foundation (CIF) is the nodal agency of the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development for setting up, managing and monitoring the CHILDLINE 1098 service all over the country. CIF is the sole agency/body responsible for establishing the CHILDLINE service across the country, monitoring of service delivery and finance, training, research and documentation, creating awareness, advocacy as well as resource generation for the service.
Call 1098 – Any child or a concerned adult can dial the CHILDLINE 1098 helpline, which operates night and day.
- Connected to CHILDLINE centre – The call is received by the CHILDLINE centre where details about the situation are taken from the caller and CHILDLINE units are mobilised if necessary.
- Rescue in 60 minutes – Once CHILDLINE has enough details about child or children in distress, the CHILDLINE team rushes to help children within 60 minutes to bring children out of an emergency situation.
- Case Intervention – Once CHILDLINE intervenes help the child, it works with multiple stakeholders such as police authorities, child protection boards, social workers and counsellors. Children’s consent and participation is an important component of this process from response to intervention.
- Rehabilitation and Follow Up – After the interventions, to ensure the child’s continued safety, CHILDLINE proceeds to find long-term rehabilitation for the child. For this, the CHILDLINE team does constant follow ups with the child – meeting the family or the visiting the shelter if a child has been assigned to stay in one.
Anugyalaya DDSSS intervention area: North and East districts of Sikkim
- Outreach Activities
- Awareness and Sensitization programmes
- 24X7 Child Helpline number 1098
- Counselling and Rehabilitation